The originally wood-cutter's settlement was founded in 1726. The first written record of settlement in the Saddle dates back to 1710. The village got its name Rehberg - Srní (which could be translated as Roe Hill) thanks to the abundant incidence of roe deer in the area. The typical Šumava architecture is represented by well preserved  mountain timbered houses built on the sustaining wall of stone with the whole walls covered with shingles, which also protect the windward wall of The Church of the Holy Trinity (kostel Nejsvětější Trojice).
Srní and its surroundings provided setting for several short stories and novels by the author Karel Klostermann, who used to stay here frequently.
The original inhabitants of Královský hvozd (Royal forest) were udallers called "Královci" who were liable directly to the Royal Chamber. Their principal duties consisted in protection of the country borders.
In Srní and its surroundings there were many water-mills (saw-mills or or flour-mills). Karel Klostermann often visited one of them to see his cousin.
Several glass-works were established in the area in course of the 18th century, including Zelená Hora, Hrádky (Schlösserwald), Paště, Antýgl. Their glass beads were exported overseas, mainly for American Indians. Later on, the Prince of Schwarzenberg settled the glass-makers' houses with wood-cutters.
Completion of the Vchynicko-tetovský floating canal, which was constructed in only two years, contributed significantly to the village development. Amongst the buildings of the period we could name the vicarage with cemetery, school, post office, gendarmery, finance house and almshouse.
In 1910 there were 1734 people living in Srní. They were farmers cultivating corn and potatoes and the cattle heard of up to 4200 animals could be seen in the surrounding pastures.