The pleasant and attractive parish lies in the romantic valley of the Teplá Vltava at height of 824 m above sea-level in the Šumava Protected Landscape Area. The settlements of Račí and Žlíbky belong to the parish, so does Březová Lada, Polka and Slatina, which all completely lie within the Šumava National Park. The well-known Boubín Primeval Forest, which is one of the most admired and visited sites in the whole region, belongs to the parish. Presently Horní Vltavice has 385 inhabitants. The whole area of the parish counts 5948 hectares.
Horní Vltavice, which used to be a part of the Vimperk Estate, is a very old settlement. Historically, the village was first mentioned in 1257. Horní Vltavice lies on one of the branches of the Golden Route, which led from Vimperk to Freyung in Bavaria and from there on to Passau. From the 16th to 18th century, huge series of glass works were in operation in the surrounding area. The existence of a mirror glass works (directly in Horní Vltavice) historically dates to the year 1618. In 1858, at the instigation of the Vimperk Princely Forester Josef John a former part of the Royal Border Forest, more exactly the foothills of the western side of the Boubín mountain ridge called Pažení, became nature reservation of Boubín Primeval Forest. The nature reserve is 666 hectares in size at the moment and is the third oldest reservation at this level of protection in the Czech Republic. A Jonh’s stone is located on the edge of Kubova Huť, Zátoň and Včelná forest districts. After 1945 the village was re-settled by Czech and Slovaks as well as Hungarian and Romanian emigrants. There are three cultural and one technical monuments in Horní Vltavice. The dominant feature of the settlement is the Baroque Church of the Virgin Mary, St. Josef and St. Jan Nepomuk which was built in 1724 on the site of the original chapel. It is possible to see two rare paintings by Peter van Roy from 1724-25 inside. Besides the church, there is a manse and cemetary with the family tomb of the Kralik’s family from Meyrwald, back then, they were owners of the Lenora glass works. There used to be a toll-paying ford on the site of the present-day bridge over the Vltava. The bridge is technical historic monument. The Chapel of St. Jan Nepomuk from the second half of the 18th century stands near the bridge. An original farmstead with a half-hipped saddle roof is located nearby. A memorial stone to the victims of the WW I. was renewed recently. Interesting stuff: The presbytery in Horní Vltavice was long-time settled by the family of famous actor Zdeněk Štěpánek Dinky hydraulic power plant is locaten in the Horní Vltavice settlement Polka. The surroundings A railway from Strakonice to Volary is leading through the villages cadaster. The train stop is 2 km far from Horní Vltavice in the forest of the Boubín’s foothills called Basum, which means it is very hard to achieve in winter.
The village’s gravity field became Vimperk, which is 12 km far. During the working days there’s a good bus connection. After the states farms, industrial plants in Vimperk and Glassworks in Lenora broke up there’s quite high unemployment in the village. A new duct including water tank (250m3 capacity) was built. At the left part of the village (left shore of Vltava) new drainage and waste water threatment were built. The goals of the village are: complete gas coverage, finished drainage and petrol station on the right shore of Vltava. In 2001 the agreement with the drainage’s completion as well as waste water threatment’s reconstruction was received. Citizen’s activities The citizens gathered in various groups and clubs are participating on realization of the Village renewal Programme, which is cofinanced by the government, but not just that. Last year’s activities concerned maintenance of cemetary, public places, communications… Those duties are done with no financial contribution to the inhabitants involved. The inhabitants are meeting themselves on various meetings and actions organized by the municipality. These actions contribute to good relationships among neighbours and keep up the unity of the village. When reaching the age of 60, the inhabitants are gifted and when they are 80 they are visited by the municipality representatives. Every quarter in a year, a happening with the inhabitatnts is organized by the municipality and several problems regarding different spheres and problems of the life in the village are solved.
A railway from Strakonice to Volary is leading through the villages cadaster. The train stop is 2 km far from Horní Vltavice in the forest of the Boubín’s foothills called Basum, which means it is very hard to achieve in winter. Boubín Primeval Forest The tree cover here comprises mainly spruce, beech and fir. The oldest examples are between 300-400 years old. The most famous of them was the King of the Spruces (Král smrků), which was 57.6 m high, had a diameter of 508 cm at a height of 1.3 m from the ground and a volume of 29 m3. When it fell down during a storm in December 1970 it was 440 years old. An educational trail runs around the centre of the primeval forest. It begins and ends at the Boubín pool, which was built on the Kaplický stream in 1833. This -in its time technically excellent - construction served to contain water to float timber down to the glass works in Lenora